I just had an interesting text-conversation about love, that I'll share here. The beauty of texting is that you always have a record of your conversation if you want it. (and sometimes a record when you don't want it) I appended a little, but I'll leave you to guess which parts are new and which are original.
I believe in fate even though I believe in free will: those things that I can affect, I will. But, those things I can't affect, will go their own way. This applies to "the one" just fine. You see, I am destined to find the circumstances and situations that I do find, and to miss those that I miss. I can try and try to be with someone that I think might be the one, but I fall accidentally in love just as often as when I try real hard to be with somebody. With love and fate, it's all circumstances that I'd like to control, but that I can't really control at all, that leads to love. If I miss the one, it's because that one was not for me. Some people are destined to find none or just one "one" in life, some a series of "ones." I hope I get just one. I can't really control who enters my life any more than I can control who is or isn't in my college classes. I can try to put myself in a situation where I might encounter a certain person, or kind of person, but it's still a crap-shoot. And there's also no such thing as "one that got away" for me. If they were here, then that situation existed for its own purpose. If they left, they're destined for other things.
I think that my life will bring me where I am going to be, not necessarily where we think we will be. My input into my life's events only affects how my situations may play out, but I can't really affect what situations do come. Sometimes someone might reemerge into my life's stream of encounters after leaving, but this is never certain, and almost never steerable.
That's deep, man. And so true. My fingers would be dead after texting all that :)
ReplyDelete