First post, so it's a doozie. tl;dr: 2010 turned out allllllright, brotherman.
I can't believe it's 2011 already. As Graham (more than) once said, "It's damn near the Jetson's! Where's my flying car?" But 365 days ago, I was looking forward to what the year would hold for me, and it's turned out almost exactly as I was looking for. Here's the highlight reel in chronological order as far as I can recall; touchdowns and fumbles it's been a hell of a year.
I moved here from San Diego at the outset of the year, and it's been mostly awesome ever since. I crashed at Jim and Josh's briefly, before staying with Graham for a couple months. Graham had a kickin' pad! His cat Nina and my cat Ben eventually got along, and the two were cute in epic proportions. Some time in the second quarter of the year, I moved to a house down by the mall with Josh, Jim, Megan, and Tate, followed shortly by Ray "Guy On The Couch" Miller. We tried to give him hassle, but the guy's got thick skin, and despite my best efforts to drive him insane, he eventually moved to a permanent position in the household.
Sometime in the early summer, a simple game of Texas Hold'em escalated into a bi-weekly party at our place involving beer and booze, BBQ sausages at 5am, Rockband 2, and even someone pressing boobs against the sliding glass door (many, many times). One of the most memorable parties was our Bridgette: Farewell party, where we all were dressed to the nines. A glorious evening. Eventually all good things must come to an end; our last party here got a little out of control, but the summer was ending, what better time to call it a night, right?
I got to meet Liz, Ray's girlfriend, and her wonderful sister Piper, who I ended up dating :) She moved to Seattle for photography school before the Bridgette: Farewell party, and still attends to this day. As the relationship grew, I fell in love with this woman all full of smiles..
At the end of the summer, difficulties arose between Jim and myself resulting in he and his girlfriend Megan moving out to their own place down the street. They have since picked up the crowns of Party King and Queen, and have hosted their own Friday night blow-outs with great enthusiasm.
College over the summer went great with A's in both ENG 101 & 102, and I rolled into the fall semester with the same excitement I had at the beginning of the summer semester. This time it would be pre-calculus, philosophy, US history, and photography. Piper loaned me her 35mm camera, and I had a blast being a shutter-bug for my photo class. My teacher, Ed Honda, is an amazing instructor. He made me like photography, and I'm just sorry I don't have room in my spring schedule to take his class again.
During the summer and fall, I struggled to find something extra-curricular to occupy my time with, as school studies leave me wanting for something to do. I started out riding my Yamaha Virago motorcycle all over the county looking for adventure, but it's hard to find the diamonds in the rough without a guide. I got set up to volunteer at the fire department after a bureaucrat's mother-load of paperwork, but that wasn't really what I expected, so I quit after one day. Once into the fall semester, having met Mr. Honda, I started volunteering at Buena High School, assisting with their film photography classes on Fridays. That was a blast! I'd love to continue doing the same during the spring semester, but Buena is cutting their entire film curriculum. Bummer. Ed has suggested I help with the digital classes, but we'll see how that works out.
Halloween was a total blast; Dani (Bridgette's gf) and I did a coordinated costume of half-man, half-woman, split down the vertical middle of the costume. My left side was a suit and tie, my right a skirt and blouse. Dani did the same, but reversed. We had our hair and makeup done by her should-be-pro roomie. We went with Alex and his friends to Tucson and hit up two of the gay clubs; the whole event was pretty freakin' sweet, if I do say so myself.
Oh yeah, some time in here, Graham and I did tailgating at UofA for the Wildcats first home game, versus Citadel, I think. Of course Arizona stomped all over that east-coast military prep school, but we did have some great fun there. Next time, I WILL bring a vuvuzela!
December came and the winds brought Piper down from the Arctic to be with us for Christmas break. But as it turns out, our relationship had got frostbite, and we went our seperate ways before the New Year's celebration. I spent the evening in Bisbee bar-hopping, and even experienced my first rave. I don't know what exactly I was expecting, but Club K just seemed too... clean. To be oddly specific, I imagined the ceilings would be much lower, and the whole place to be dark and loud. The ball drop was celebrated with a round of jager-bombs and party hats inside a bar, then with champagne and firecrackers outside. Some time that night, we discovered an awesome little music venue that had some kind of punk music going on, and we all crowded in. For one band's number, Melissa jumped on a trampoline! After Bisbee, I decided to visit a house party in South Sierra Vista, and it was completely awesome. We lit off the rest of my fireworks, I met a bunch of great people, and we spent a good part of the wee hours sitting on the floor of a smoky bedroom listening to legends of the vinyl era on a classic record player. It was a far-out evening, for sure man.
Now here am I, with my classes registered, and books paid for. My college experience continues on Monday, and I'm totally excited. I'll try to keep this blog going, with shorter and more varied entries next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment